Welcome to Olivia's World.......

I hope you enjoy reading my thoughts and opinions about topics important to me.

Sunday, January 20, 2008

A Brotha Like Me.....


I'm president of the University of North Texas collegiate chapter of the National Association of Black Journalists, for short it's UNT-NABJ.
I'm currently planning UNT-NABJ's first event for the Spring 2008 semester. I'm so excited to be able to plan educational and elightening events for the UNT campus through my organization. I'm so proud of UNT-NABJ and what's we have accomplished so far with my presidency and what the future holds.


A Brotha Like Me will focus on the media's portrayal of Africna American men. It's something that people talk about but that we don't really acknowledge out in the open in front of everyone. There are certain aspects of African American culture that we try to keep from the masses. But some things need to be discussed out in the open. We need to come up with solution to the issues that are ailing the African American community. The media and it's portrayal of us is something we need to examine. We need to know why our young black boys and girl are growing up with the assumption that they aren't valued by America's society at large.


The image above was taken from Kiri Davis's wonderful documentary A Girl Like Me. In it we see young black children who are consistently thinking that white is right. The negavtive images of African Americans in media are contributing to this school of thought. It's sad! It's DEPRESSING! I'm so glad that being a member of an organization like UNT-NABJ enables me to plan programming that will provoke thoughts and ideas in the minds of college students who are poised to make a difference in this world. "A Brotha Like Me" will cause people to look critically at the images of black men set before us on TV, in film and in music.
If you want to check out Kiri Davis's "A Girl Like Me" you can do so at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17fEy0q6yqc

No comments: